Thursday, September 23, 2010

Late to the Game - Gone Country

For those of you who know me or used to know me, you know that for a long time I was not a fan of country. Then I met my wife. And we had a problem. Riding in the car was especially difficult for a long time as we sparred for control of the channel. It was especially bad because I did not like the modern country. My family roots held a special place for Willie and Johnny, but the modern country music made me really question my commitment to this woman. Even now, every time I hear Kenny Chesney I want to pull my own arm off so I can beat myself unconscious. No, she does not think your tractor is sexy.

But my relationship survived country music, and I married a country girl. The resulting steady stream of country music into our home exposed me to a greater breadth of what country music was, and after it broke my will, I found it wasn’t all bad. But I hated Garth. I still hate Garth. I think he’s whiney and obnoxious. Sorry. However, I found others I could get down with without feeling I had to throw on cowboy boots and smell of pig honkey. Because lets face it, I’m not a country boy.

Brad Paisley did not induce thoughts of self-harm. I won’t crank the car into the ditch if Miranda Lambert comes on the radio. [But be warned, I won’t hesitate to wreck a car if Taylor Swift even thinks about singing on my radio]. I could survive a whole album of Eric Church. I even really liked a few George Strait songs. Then I started to find my people. Lyle Lovett. One day I will devote an entire post to Lyle Lovett and his epic talent. Suffice it to say for now that L.A. County is easily one of my favorite songs ever!

Then I spent one night home alone watching Lyle on Austin City Limits. He was playing with Guy Clark, Joe Ely, and John Hiatt. I was mesmerized. I swooned for an hour as the boys picked away and played classics and lesser-known ballads. Suddenly, country was not limited to Garth and Kenny but really had a connection for me. I ended up watching that concert at least two more times.

I can’t say how I ended up finding out about all the different country artists. I think it can mostly be attributed to the magic of Wikipedia links. However it was, I eventually came to read about the outlaws, including Steve Earle, and I was smitten. That’s when earth-shattering events took place.

I recently celebrated another birthday. I received from my mom and dad, among other things, an itunes gift card. What to buy, what to buy. The options were endless. [Except no Beatles of course… Thanks again Yoko]. Would I impress my brother and sister-in-law with some new Wyclef that he somehow managed to release in the middle of his presidential bid? Or would I finally round out my 90’s hit list with the best of Kid Rock?

Instead, I threw the world for a curve and went country. The first album purchase was the great Steve Earle’s Copperhead Road. Fantastic. This was followed up by paying homage to Steve Earle’s hero, and I purchased Townes Van Zandt’s greatest hits. Truly remarkable stuff. My music collection, not my wife’s, now includes bona fide country music. Hell has frozen over.

Now don’t be mistaken, I’m still no country boy. And don’t take any of this for me going soft on terrible country music. If Zach Brown even considers strumming his guitar in my general vicinity he’ll find his toes in the water and my foot in his a**. But there is now and forever a place in my heart for real country music.

2 comments:

  1. Try some RAGWEED. (That's Cross Canadian Ragweed, to be exact.) I suggest their "Live In Tulsa" album, aka-"Live And Loud at Cains Ballroom." You'll thank me later. -John

    ReplyDelete
  2. No "h" in Zac Brown band, Ry. ;) And, for the record, Garth, Kenny and Taylor aren't my FAVORITES, either. :) Funny blog.

    ReplyDelete