Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Fat Tuesday - The Return

Disclaimer: I’m not sure if I previously posted this disclaimer, and I’m too lazy to go back and check, so in case I haven’t said before: This is not a “foodie” blog. I am not a “foodie”. Though I still have not quite figured out what that term constitutes, I can assure you that it is not I. I am just a guy who really really really likes eating. It doesn’t matter if its fine cuisine or fast food, I’m on board.

For instance, this afternoon for lunch I had a Tostino’s Party Pizza, Pepperoni Flavored, and IT WAS FANTASTIC! In fact, I would probably just do this entire entry about that pizza, the flaky crust, the tasty morsels of mystery meat flavored like pepperoni, the melty imitation cheese, but then I wouldn’t have a great recipe to give you at the end. However, if I am ever able to improve upon this fine Italian delight I will definitely dedicate an entry to explaining it. And if anyone out there has recommendations for improving the frozen pizza don’t hold out on me.

Since today’s Fat Tuesday entry is not about Tostino’s Party Pizzas we will now turn to the actual subject of today’s treat: Pumpkin Cheesecake. I love the fall season. The hot weather of summer just makes me wilt. The fall brings a nice cooling temperature, which allows me to go outside without sweating the second I walk out my door. In anticipation of the fall, I selected this pumpkin derivative to help get everyone in the autumn mood. This recipe comes from a bakery in Chicago, the name of which I don’t have. Sorry bakery. I found it in a magazine at my parent’s house, the name of which I also don’t have. Sorry magazine. [I do have the names of my parents, but that is not relevant to today’s post].

Disclaimers and Notes.

This is the first cheesecake I have made. I’m not particularly adept at baking yet, so while this recipe has not turned out great for me yet, I assume since the bakery uses it the recipe must be good. I am also assuming the recipe may have had directions for how to mix the ingredients together to create the proper consistency and integrity for the cheesecake, but in a rush I didn’t write those directions down. Thus far, I just throw everything in a bowl and set the Kitchen-Aid to whip. [See I told you I wasn’t a foodie].

When the recipe says room temperature cream cheese they mean room temperature cream cheese. My first attempt ended as a pumpkin pie like product with white chunks of cream cheese marbled throughout. My second attempt, though closer to room temperature, still did not reach room temperature and ended similarly, but with smaller cream cheese chunks. Room temperature is like 66-70 degrees Fahrenheit. [I’m not trying to write like I’m talking to an idiot. I’m trying to write like I’m talking to myself… Okay, maybe I’m writing like I’m talking to an idiot].

When the recipe says 10” pan I highly recommend trying to find a 10” pan. My 9” pan has produced an overly thick crust and overflowing batter. Finally, when the recipe says refrigerate overnight it means refrigerate for a minimum of 8 hours. Did I mention I like eating, and I hate waiting, and I’m not a fan of delayed gratification. Try and eat it after 2 hours refrigeration and it will not have the consistency you are looking for.

Hopefully these tips and notes can help you avoid the pitfalls I have run into. If you have made cheesecake before, perhaps you can comment on the proper way to mix the ingredients together. Hope this gets everyone in the mood. [For autumn]. Enjoy the fall season!

Pumpkin Cheesecake from a Chicago Bakery:

Graham Cracker Crust:

-2 Cups Graham Cracker crumbs

-1/4 Cup sugar

-1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

-1 stick of unsalted butter melted

In a 10” greased pan push the crust onto the bottom, not the sides. Cook for 15 minutes at 350 degrees.

Cheesecake:

-1 ½ Cups cream cheese – room temperature

-1 Cup sour cream

-1 Cup sugar

-1 Tablespoon vanilla extract

-1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon

-1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

-1/4 teaspoon all-spice

-pinch ground ginger

-pinch ground cloves

-1 Cup pumpkin puree – room temperature

-2 Tablespoons heavy cream

-3 large eggs

Mix it all up. Pour in pan. Bake in a water bath for 1 hour at 325 degrees. Chill overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment