Thursday, July 15, 2010

Of dirty diapers and legal defense.

So it has been a while since I last posted. Luckily, I don’t think anyone read the first one, so it shouldn’t be a problem. I’ve been busy lately. Currently, I am a stay at home dad with my 10-month old daughter, and I do contract legal work from home mostly consisting of drafting criminal defense appeals. This makes for an interesting composition of daily activities, while trying to continually shift gears from dad to attorney.

6:00AM – Wake up to either go to the gym, or more likely, look out our bedroom window, which still lacks curtains, at the ethnic gathering of construction workers drinking coffee and perhaps checking out my wife before pulling the blankets up over my naked butt to sleep for another hour. (I didn’t mean to be presumptive. Maybe they were checking me out.)

7:00AM – Get my daughter out of bed, (which coincidentally is still the same bed my wife, and occasionally I, sleep in), change a diaper, and head downstairs for breakfast and coffee. Breakfast and coffee has now become a one-armed operation as my daughter refuses to conduct her morning routine out of the arms of either myself or my wife. This makes for some difficulty in cleaning out and preparing the coffee maker, but it provides me with a definitive excuse for why I only brewed drip coffee instead of making lattes for myself and said wife. Note to self: No need to work your biceps at the gym anymore… if you still go to the gym.

7:30AM – Feed daughter. Since my wife works about two-thirds from home, she usually handles this morning routine. This usually allows me to finish the wheat mush that was previously a crisp brand name cereal.

8:00AM – My wife officially starts her workday which means I am on full-force daddy duty. I’m not sure what all activities I’m supposed to providing for my daughter. As of current I act as formidable mountain for her to climb over back and forth repeatedly, duet musician as we jam on her music contraption (not sure what it is other than a small table with produce colored gadgets and buttons that emits about eight different musical tones), and evil dictator who prohibits her from engaging in delightful activities like such as calling dad’s friends on his cell phone or sending ill-advised faxes to her mom’s business associates.

9:00AM – My daughter and I gear up for the one daily activity I try to take seriously, reading to her. I try to get her to sit still in my lap, but that usually lasts all of six seconds before she is crawling around my feet flinging objects about the living room. No matter, we can still do this. I like to start out with short poems and rhymes like Simple Simon and the goops. After that we move on to the longer stories that so far have consisted of Orwell, Vonnegut, and a little Twain. I’m not sure if reading my daughter Mark Twain at this early of an age will make her too cynical. I’m betting it won’t do anything worse that what she’s already destined for having me as her dad.

9:55AM – Feed daughter. This one is on me if the wife isn’t home or is in a conference call.

10:00AM – Naptime, finally. Unfortunately, my daughter has convinced me that a crib is no place for a baby to nap. As such, she sleeps in my arms while I rock her. Oh well, at least I don’t have to chase her and I can try and get some work done.

10:05AM – Resume editing my brief that is due next week. Appealing a conviction for attempted murder. Good stuff.

11:15AM – Start work on next appeal. Federal drug conviction. I begin with reviewing police reports and trial transcripts. The good news is the probable cause the police used to justify the raid is shaky at best. The bad news is the courts won’t care.

11:30AM – The police reports indicate the client was carrying 30 grams of crack. He’s in deep poop.

11:37AM – The putrid odor of organically processed mashed peas and avocado rising from my lap where my daughter sleeps tells me I’m in deep poop.

Since my daughter is now crying and I have no idea what the reason is I will have to continue my schedule rundown at another time. Hopefully sooner than 5 months from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment